Wednesday, May 12, 2010

For the Love of Cooking

To me, one of the greatest experiences life has to offer is cooking.  Having food made for you is great and all, but to really work in your kitchen and prepare a meal for your family and friends to me is one of the most rewarding things you can experience in life.  A film recently came out that is based on two women and their love for food and cooking.  For those of you who know me, you know that I am a sucker for inspirational films, and this one really kicked the bucket.  The film is of course Julie and Julia.  Julia Childs chose to cook because she loved food and needed something to do now that she wasn't participating in politics.  Julie is a modern disheveled woman who is trying to finish something in her life, show herself that her life amounts to something... so she decides to cook her way through Julia Childs cookbook while keeping a blog.  Blogs are amazing tools, aren't they?  Well after watching this movie, I had this undying urge to make brushetta, which I did and it was fabulous.  I'm not going to copy the movie and cook my way through a cook book, instead I am choosing to educate myself further in preparing foods and developing my culinary skills if you will.  I'm currently living with and dating an Italian, so learning to properly handle pasta is essential.  I tried to make eggplant parm a couple of times and I have to admit that the first two batches were an absolute disaster.  The key was learning how to properly cook eggplant thoroughly, which isn't easy.  I eventually got it and now my eggplant parm is fabulous.  I'm no Italian chef, but I'm learning as I go along.  So I guess this is something we can add to the long list of things I'm trying to do in my life.  I want to improve my cooking skills.  Wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment