Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Writer's Block

So I don't know if any of my fellow English Graduates or any of my fellow writing piers are having this problem, but I am finding it extremely difficult the last couple days to get writing.  I have written about my frustration in my journal and I have gone through several notebook pages of scribbles, which now sit crumbled in my trashcan or on the floor for Lady to play with. 
The phrase came to me that "in order to be a good writer, you have to be a good reader" this weekend, so I started attacking my resent treasures from Barnes and Noble.  I finished another Nora Robert's novel, Honest Illusions, which was really really good.  It hit that romance novel meets mystery need in my heart, but it didn't exactly fill my tank enough to begin writing again.  So I am now currently reading Maria Fiorato's The Botticelli Secret.  It has an exciting and action packed beginning with questions needing to be answered and a mystery to be figured out.
When we hit writers block... what do we do?
I am currently reading books and making a lot of notes to try and jump start my creativity.  What about you?  What have you done to get the creativity flowing?

1 comment:

  1. I've actually been having some tough writer's block as well. A few things I've been going with may sound strange, but if you need clarification just call me lol...

    1. Just go with it. If you've got writer's block you've got it. Don't try and fight it, writing what you feel like is total crap because you'll just get more frustrated. Wait patiently for the inspiration to come. On that note...

    2. Reading is definitely a good option. It's been only partially helpful for me as well. Now that you've tried reading new books, try reading a book you've already read. Going back to reading a style/story you already know may help at least get those creative juices flowing and eventually lead to something new.

    3. Even if you don't get a big story or thought process coming to you, write even the tiniest little blurb down. That one random, witty, or inspirational sentence that pops into your head could provide further inspiration later, so just try to get it on paper.

    That's about all I've got for now, it's the stuff that I'm trying anyways. It hasn't been working fully yet, but I'm gradually starting to feel my creativity coming back. *Disclaimer: I wouldn't advise the first method if writing for a career lol*

    ReplyDelete